Sunday, June 10, 2012

Story Time 3

Oh hey look! It is another "Story Time" post! I absolutely love writing these.

So today, I wrote a script instead of a short story like I usually do. I was suppose to post about my experiences during the trip to London/Paris today but this idea for a script popped up in my head and won't let me go!

So I sat down and thought about it for about five minutes or so and then I sat down and typed it.

When I first made the draft in my head, it was a light-hearted piece based on the comedic life of a seemingly daft girl. However, when I finally typed it out, the story grew darker, eventually becoming a story of a seemingly daft girl but this time with a rather secret and tragic life.

This script also kind of started because a friend of mine asked me to try writing a script one day.

Anyway, one of the examples of the things I decided to change was the colour of the t-shirt in the script which was originally orange, for which she argues that it is "fashionably-ugly".

Here it is anyway, I don't have a title for it really.



A girl (who looks like she is in her late teens), walks across the stage looking strangely cheerful. Looking confused, she looks around like as if searching for something. Finally, she seems to have spotted someone in the direction of the audience. She waves enthusiastically towards where the audience are and moves to the front of the stage.
Oh hello!
(Giggling) Don’t be silly, you’re not John. You’re my mother!
Alright John, maybe I do know you...you were my best friend during...
(Nodding at something the invisible John said) Yes, yes somewhere along those years. You want to hear a story? (Without giving time for invisible John to reply, she jumps straight into it) You see, when I was seven, my mother abandoned me at this place called Roland’s Funhouse where she used to work at! (Now slightly sad but still smiling) I spent a lot of my time there. I don’t remember her well but her skimpily-dressed friends at her workplace took good care of me.
(In an even more cheerful tone) Anyway, to make a lovely story shorter, my mother left me and I was whisked away to an orphanage. (Enthusiastically) So now you’re like my replacement mother, Mother John!
Shh, yes you’re my mother. Now as I was saying Mother, I went to a lovely party yesterday! I didn’t tell you? Well, it is a party my friend Lily threw for me. I couldn’t throw my own party; I didn’t have any money when you left me years ago.
Ah yes, now where was I? So at the party, there was this man who told me he could do amazing party tricks if I paid him 50 bucks...
(Nodding) Oh yes Mother, I have money now. I’ll tell you later. I gave him the money and he pulled out a soft toy lion. He put his head in the lion’s mouth! Oh Mother, it was a very good trick indeed!
(With an admiring look) No not in the way he tricked me but the trick he did was so brave and daring! The teeth of the toy lion’s were very realistic!
You don’t believe me? Well, Mother John, you will never believe me will you? I went shopping yesterday. I took money from shopkeepers when they weren’t looking. Took things too when they weren’t aware.
Oh hush Mother, hush. Let me show you what I got you. (She bends over to pick up an imaginary bag. She pretends to pull a cloth-like object out of it and holds it out slightly above head for the audience to see.) It’s a lovely t-shirt isn’t it, Mother. I think it’d fit you perfectly. (Lowers it to chest level)
Look at it Mother! (Looks down at the t-shirt) On it, there are the words: I should believe in what you say. (Flips t-shirt over, still keeping it at chest level) But the back of it is more important, it is the part people should be reading. They would you know? After all you’ve got that... (She raises her hand to rub her left cheek) thing on your face; not at all a pretty sight. (She smiles again, looking back down at the t-shirt and reads) You should believe in what I say.
(Looks back up, eyes wider than ever with excitement)Oh Mother, I have this theory that if more people believed what you said, you would be much more open in believing in what others say. And then you’d believe what I say too instead of being so suspicious all the time.

(Now frowning) Oh yes, I got it today. No, I couldn’t have been at the mall last Friday. I went out today. (She sighs and pretends fold the clothing and places it gently into the bag)Well, I can’t be responsible for the death of the many people in the very same shopping mall I got this t-shirt for you in, Mother. No it’s seventy-three Mother, five other bodies were hidden- oh you suddenly seem very interested Mother! That is wonderful. I was joking Mother, of course I am not involved in this. No I was not locked up in some room this morning, I went shopping! This mall wasn’t closed today, I went there!
(Now laughing in a fond manner) My dear mother, you don’t believe in anything I say either.  To you, everything I say could just be a lie or a joke.
(Suddenly afraid) Oh Mother, don’t take me back to the building please, it’s grey and frightening! It’s lonely in there. I hear voices at night in my room Mother. You wouldn’t want me to feel afraid would you?
I can call for the guards outside the room? (In a temper) I don’t want to be treated like a trapped damsel, Mother! I want to be loved as a child!
(Now smiling again) I am a child aren’t I? Mother John, Mother! It will be my eighteenth birthday tomorrow; don’t suppose I’ll get some cake? Oh I do love you so Mother, but you must promise to wear the t-shirt! After all, the colour red was so trendy last Friday!
As the girl stands alone on the stage, now looking around at nothing, the stage grows dark till there is complete darkness.



It wasn't confusing was it? I hope you figured out what really happened in the story!
Anyway, I hope that the next post will finally be the London/Paris trip one.
It shall be called "Trip Part 2".

No comments:

Post a Comment